check_box Submission Information
** SUBMISSION PERIOD IS NOW OVER. PLEASE CHECK BACK SOON FOR MORE NEWS.**
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (LBYR) is introducing the LITTLE, BROWN EMERGING ARTIST AWARD and seeking accomplished picture book submissions that incorporate the award’s mission statement:
To encourage the development of high-quality children’s picture books that resonate with readers of diverse backgrounds and experiences, that in some manner draw from the rich cultural experiences of this country—whether they manifest in character, theme, setting, plot, or are derived simply from the artist’s own experience of identity. Diversity includes literal or metaphorical inclusion of characters of underrepresented ethnicity, religious background, gender identity, class, mental or physical disability, or any other nondominant populations.
One Award is Available and Consists of:
- American Express® gift cards totaling $2,500;
- Round-trip travel for the winner to New York City;
- A day at LBYR’s offices in New York, including lunch with an editor, an art director, and the Artist Mentor, an in-person portfolio review by the Artist Mentor and the LBYR publishing staff, and a tour of the office; and
- An opportunity for the winning submission to be reviewed by LBYR’s editorial team for possible future publication. (**A subsequent book publishing deal, if any, would be separately negotiated, and is not considered part of the Award).
- Legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, who are at least 18 years of age as of September 15, 2016.
- Professional children’s book illustrators or authors, individuals represented by book publishing agents, or individuals whose works have been previously published by any book publisher are NOT eligible to enter. (Self-published authors may enter.)
How to Enter:
- Fill out the entry form below and upload a submission between 12:01 am Eastern Time (“ET”) on September 15, 2016 and 11:59 pm ET on January 15, 2017.
- An original story idea, an original take on a classic story, or nonfiction incorporating the award’s mission statement;
- A mock-up of no more than 32 pages of text (no more than 1200 words), sketches, and at least 6 pages of finished art (see sample); and
- Mock-up text to be written in English and appropriate for children up to 8 years of age.
Sponsor: Hachette Book Group, Inc. 1290 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10104.